Join Our Team
- See the latest vacancies and learn more about why you should work for us
Nature Based Solutions Technical Manager (International)
- Location:Oxford/Nairobi. Flexible working arrangements can be discussed for the right candidate.
- Type:Full-time, permanent
- Reports To:Director of Nature-Based Solutions
The role is focused on carbon project development of Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) projects internationally under recognised voluntary carbon standards. NBS is an increasingly important part of our business, and we are expanding our technical project development capability as client demand for NBS projects grows.
You will work closely with experienced NBS Commercial Managers and Portfolio Management colleagues, supporting the origination and screening of project development opportunities You will lead the due diligence of projects (from early development through to post-issuance stages) and lead on Carbon Asset Development through to validation, verification and ultimately issuance of high integrity carbon credits from international projects with credible partners.
Reporting into the Director of Nature Based Solutions, you will be at the centre of accelerating the growth of ClimateCare’s NBS project development portfolio, building on our award-winning reputation as a voluntary carbon project developer.
- Support origination and screening of project development; help set the criteria for what ‘good’ looks like.
- Lead the due diligence of both NBS project development opportunities and operating projects from which ClimateCare is sourcing VCUs, including site visits where necessary.
- Support negotiations with project proponents, in particularly contributing to understanding and mitigation of project risk.
- Lead carbon asset development for projects, working closely with local partners, from Project Design Documentation through validation to verification and issuance.
- Ongoing oversight of operational projects to ensure performance, delivery and reporting.
- Keep up to date with changes in voluntary carbon standards (including emerging jurisdictional standards) and inform ClimateCare’s approach to managing risk and securing optionality as standards and international policies (e.g. the implementation of the Paris agreement) continue to evolve.
Capabilities and experience:
- 5-10 years’ experience in NBS project development or related roles.
- A degree in a relevant field such as forestry, ecology, biological conservation or environmental management is preferable but not essential.
- Proven experience in preparing Project Design Documents for VCS/CCB, Gold Standard and potentially other recognised standards, through to validation, monitoring and verification.
- Knowledgeable about key elements of the carbon development process such as baselining, field data collection and analysis, GIS, calculation of carbon benefits, forest and biomass inventories, biodiversity mapping and community engagement.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in multiple NBS pathways and protocols (e.g. avoidance and removals) and an understanding of performance and delivery risks.
- Experience working with local partners, with an understanding of the on-the-ground challenges and realities of project and carbon delivery.
- A strong network in carbon project development; able to engage other technical specialists and manage specialist input as needed.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is prepared to challenge project partners constructively to ensure that project design assumptions are credible and robust.
- Has a strong attention to detail and able to identify what is most important to address; has a proven understanding of project risks and how these impact commercial discussions.
- Can manage competing priorities and is respectful of others’ time in a busy organisation.
- Sets high standards for ethical behaviour.
- Language skills would be an asset.
- Able to travel internationally to project sites.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the UK’s leading B Corporation that is growing rapidly, and to be at the centre of the propositions driving that growth. You will benefit from a highly collegiate, ‘one team’ working environment as you build ClimateCare’s position in this highly innovative and rapidly evolving market. We are looking for someone able to make an impact from day one and help us capitalise on our leading position in this space. The opportunity for significant personal development is there for the taking!
If you meet the above criteria, please email your CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line 'Nature-Based Solutions Technical Manager - Job Application - FirstName LastName'
We help organisations turn their climate responsibilities into positive impacts by supporting projects that cut carbon and improve people’s lives.
150+ years combined industry experience
100 million tonnes co2e avoided or removed by the group