Join Our Team
- See the latest vacancies and learn more about why you should work for us
Carbon Asset Development Commercial and Operational Manager
- Location:Nairobi, Kenya. Flexible working arrangements can be discussed
- Type:Full-time, permanent
- Reports To:Head of Kenya Office
ABOUT CLIMATECARE AND NATURAL CAPITAL PARTNERS
ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners is dedicated to tackling climate change and improving lives. It aims to make our world a climate neutral one – where everyone takes full responsibility for their carbon footprint.
ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners helps organisations take responsibility for their climate impact by financing, developing and managing carbon reduction projects across the world. Headquartered in Oxford, UK, with offices and people in Nairobi, London, USA, Sri Lanka, Guatemala, Brazil, Colombia and France, ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners helped create the voluntary carbon market and pioneered carbon finance for community development projects. Some of the largest carbon offsetting programmes in the world are delivered by ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners. We work with over 500 clients and over 600 projects around the world.
Leading organisations and governments trust ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners to solve complex climate and sustainability issues. With ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners by their side, they can be confident on their journey to Net Zero. Since 1997, ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners and its partners have cut over 100 million tonnes of CO₂ and improved quality of life for more than 46 million people around the world.
As an award-winning profit with purpose Certified B Corporation, ClimateCare is recognised as setting the highest standards. Values and integrity are at the heart of all we do – just as they have been since it was founded in 1997. These values are underpinned by strong environmental credentials, a commercial focus on risk management and a proud record of delivering outstanding results for clients.
ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners has ambitious plans to double its impact and scale. This is supported by new growth minded investors. We are looking to build our team with exceptional leaders who are excited and driven to shape and deliver this ambition.
This is an exciting opportunity to join and manage a team in Kenya, and to contribute to the delivery of Carbon Asset Development (CAD) and Project Development services. You will benefit from a highly collegiate, ‘one team’ working environment as you contribute to build ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners’ position in this highly innovative and rapidly evolving market. We are looking for someone able to positively oversee the Kenya team from day one and help us capitalise on our leading position in this space. The opportunity for significant personal development is there for the taking.
The role is responsible for the commercial and operational management of Carbon Asset Development (CAD) for ClimateCare and Natural Capital Partners and Natural Capital Partners. In this role, you will be accountable for ensuring timely and efficient delivery of contracted services, whilst ensuring effective operations and commercial returns of the business and contribution to the management and growth of relationships with project partners. The role will also leverage the above capability to support the growth of the business in Project Development, a core element of our growth strategy. Initial focus is on energy and safe water access though could potentially move into other sectors (e.g. Nature-Based Solutions) overtime.
The role covers the following core components:
- Commercial oversight and operational management of the technical team and processes delivering:
- Carbon asset development (CAD) services under internationally recognised voluntary carbon market (VCM) standards from registration to issuance, (55%);
- Support to the origination, screening and future management of low carbon project development opportunities in technical and commercial terms (20%);
- Contributions to due diligence on projects where emission reductions units are potentially being contracted (5%);
You will work closely with the team you are managing in Kenya and the broader experienced company team including Commercial Managers and Portfolio Management colleagues. Reporting into the Head of Kenya office with support from the Technical Director, you will be a senior member of the team delivering highest quality CAD services and contributing to the growth of the project development portfolio. In this role, you will be accountable for ensuring timely and efficient delivery of CAD services by the Kenyan office ensuring commercial returns and contributing to accelerated growth. You will play a leading role in further enhancing our award-winning reputation as a voluntary carbon project developer through exceptional delivery and a forward-thinking approach to our engagement with our market leading implementing partners, to ensure long-lasting and productive commercial relationships.
- Full understanding of commercial contracts to enable making informed decisions on service delivery and risk management;
- Direct management and oversight of the team (against KPIs) responsible for delivering quality and efficient CAD services, covering relationship management with our project implementation partners and support to the contracting of third-party auditing firms and VCM standards to ensure efficient and quality outcomes;
- Identifying risks to delivery and working with the team to recommend commercially-informed mitigations and solutions for arising issues;
- Regularly communicating with Portfolio Management and Relationship Management to ensure they are positioned to optimally manage supply-side commitments and inventory;
- Implement and develop processes that ensure, monitor and report on quality outputs and commercial outcomes whilst maximizing efficiency and performance - focusing delivery on time and within budget;
- Lead commercial aspects of the office (budget preparation, target setting and performance reporting) and income from contracted work, e.g develop proposals, contracting and communications, ensuring commercial development;
- Ensure coherent and productive engagement, in conjunction with Relationship Management colleagues, with strategic project implementing partners;
- Support the origination and screening of project development opportunities in commercial, technical and relationship terms as appropriate;
- Contribute to the due diligence of energy and safe water access projects from which emission reduction units are potentially being contracted;
- Develop/enhance base knowledge of critical changes in voluntary carbon standards and understand the Article 6 and climate policy context, including establishing Government relations in Kenya;
- Contribute to the smooth running of accounting processes with the company finance team;
- Undertake site visits and business trips for any of the work areas as necessary.
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 10 years’ experience in a related role in carbon markets, climate finance/policy and/or low carbon development with exposure to commercial aspects of business;
- A commercial mindset and experience in managing delivery of services;
- A degree, ideally a masters, in a relevant field such as Climate Change, Environmental Management or equivalent;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong verbal and written skills having managed staff previously and with a track record in managing external relationships;
- An ability to think ahead and be pro-active in anticipating and resolving issues and creating commercial opportunities.
- Proven exposure or experience with carbon markets and/or the carbon project cycle from registration to issuance is preferable, e.g. preparing or providing input to Project Design Documents or monitoring reports for carbon projects under a recognised VCM standard(s);
- Entry knowledge about key elements of the carbon development process such as baselines, field data collection and analysis, calculation of carbon benefits, and community engagement;
- An appreciation for Carbon Markets within the broader Climate Policy and PA Article 6 context;
- Ideally base understanding of key considerations for technical and commercial due diligence and related project performance risks on the ground;
- A network in the low carbon space public and/or private.
How to apply
If you are interested in the role and meet the above criteria, apply here.
We help organisations turn their climate responsibilities into positive impacts by supporting projects that cut carbon and improve people’s lives.
150+ years combined industry experience
100+ million tonnes co2e avoided or removed by the group