- Offset with an award-winning Certified B Corporation
Carbon offsetting is an internationally recognised way to take responsibility for unavoidable carbon emissions.
In a world where climate change is increasingly on the agenda and global emissions continue to grow, your customers, investors and staff are looking to your business to act responsibly.
Over 20% of the world’s largest 2,000 public companies have set Net Zero commitments, with the number growing continuously. The pressure now moves to which methods to employ in order to decarbonise. Carbon offsetting can form part of an effective strategy to achieve your organisation’s ambitions now. ClimateCare helps organisations take responsibility for their climate impact by financing, developing and managing carbon reduction projects across the world.
What is carbon offsetting?
In simple terms, offsetting one tonne of carbon means there will be one less tonne of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there would otherwise have been. To offset your emissions you must purchase the equivalent volume of carbon credits (independently verified emissions reductions) to compensate for them. The payments you make to purchase these carbon credits (carbon finance) is what makes the emissions reductions projects which created them, financially viable and sustainable. These projects can then continue to reduce global carbon emissions by improving technologies, changing awareness and behaviours in a community. Every carbon credit we sell represents one tonne of emissions reductions that has been delivered by a project, and is independently audited to internationally agreed standards. They are all certified by third parties and go through a rigorous system of checks and balances to prove they are real, measurable, permanent, additional, independently verified and unique.
How to offset your carbon footprint
Carbon offsetting is just one tool in our toolbox to tackle climate change and should not be considered as a stand-alone action. Organisations and individuals should look to reduce their emissions as much as possible, as well as taking responsibility for what remains, by offsetting it.
Offsetting carbon emissions is a continuous process starting with measuring your carbon footprint, setting a strategy to decarbonise your organisation and offsetting residual emissions while you transition to a low-emission operating model.
Alongside actions to reduce your emissions, offsetting what remains is best practice. And choosing to offset through ClimateCare means you’ll support high quality carbon reduction projects that deliver value for the environment, your business and local communities.
The offsetting process is outlined in these simple steps:
The Carbon Offset Process
What types of climate reduction projects can I use to offset my emissions?
Climate reduction projects can range from nature-based solutions, improved household technology to renewable energy solutions.
Some projects prevent carbon emissions entering the atmosphere, such as those that replace devices using fossil fuels with cleaner technology (cleaner cook stoves). These are often known as carbon avoidance projects.
Other projects take CO2 out of the atmosphere, such as planting trees to sequester carbon. These are known as removals projects.
The positive impact from emission reduction projects is not just for the climate. Many projects also deliver positive outcomes for local communities, economies, health and the natural world, contributing to the UN sustainable development goals. Funding emission reduction projects by purchasing carbon credits helps provide necessary finance to sustain the project.
We deliver some of the largest carbon offsetting programmes in the world and have access to over 600 projects in more than 56 countries. We work with project partners around the globe to create and scale carbon reduction projects. We can help you offset emissions through the right mix of projects, that resonate with the objectives of your organisation.
Why carbon offsetting is a vital tool in tackling climate change
To limit global warming to 1.5 degrees as set out in the Paris Agreement, we need to halve emissions by 2030. This means we need to take immediate action while also putting plans in place to decarbonise over the next decade. Carbon offsetting is a vital tool to help tackle climate change as it allows you to take action for carbon emissions you produce today, while you transition to a lower carbon future. While carbon offsetting alone will not solve climate change, it is an important tool on our journey to Net Zero.
Listen to our webinar about the role of carbon offsetting on the journey to net zero.
HOW DO CARBON REDUCTION PROJECTS REDUCE EMISSIONS?
There are a variety of ways in which projects deliver carbon emission reductions, for example, projects can;
- Protect forests – funding management and monitoring schemes that protect this natural source of carbon sequestration.
- Fund renewable energy – displacing fossil fuels from regional and national grids, by funding clean renewable sources such as wind and solar.
- Tackle household emissions – tackling sources of emissions in households and communities, these projects cut emissions through increasing energy efficiency or reducing use of fossil fuels.
- Planting trees and land restoration – sequestering carbon from the atmosphere storing it in trees and soil. Stabilising soils also reduces the risk of erosion and flooding while an increased forest area aids biodiversity.
HOW DO YOU MEET INDUSTRY STANDARDS?
- Working with ClimateCare ensures that your carbon offsetting programme supports projects that are robust and verified to the highest international standards including the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Gold Standard, CDM and the UK Woodland Carbon Code.
- ClimateCare is a founding member of the voluntary carbon market’s industry association, ICROA and we sit on a number of advisory committees. These include Mark Carney’s Taskforce on Scaling the Voluntary Carbon Market and the Gold Standard’s Energy Advisory Board.
- Our work has played an important role in the development of the voluntary carbon market and our project principles have widely influenced the debate about what counts as a valid carbon offset. We continue to campaign for high standards.
Why carbon offset with us?
- We deliver some of the largest carbon offsetting programmes in the world
- We’ve been tackling climate change and improving lives since 1997
- To date, we’ve reduced 51 million tonnes of CO2e and improved 46 million lives
An award-winning profit with purpose Certified B Corporation, we’re recognised as setting the highest standards in our sector.
Our team will help your organisation go Climate Neutral today, demonstrating full responsibility for your current carbon footprint while you transition towards Net Zero. And we will develop a long term plan to secure carbon avoidance and removal credits - through our existing or new projects. We work with project partners around the globe to create and scale carbon reduction projects in locations that matter to your organisation.
What carbon offsetting can be used for
Carbon offsetting is an interim measure as you work to reduce your own direct emissions. Organisations use offsetting in different ways. You can use it to help compensate for:
- your residual carbon footprint after all other means of cutting emissions have been exhausted.
- emissions from a particular product, service, building, project or event.
- emissions from your supply chain.
- it is a cost effective way to meet multiple social impact, environmental and business targets.
How to carbon offset with us
There are two simple ways to take responsibility for your emissions:
Offsetting is a valid way to reduce global carbon emissions quickly and cost effectively, because it recognises that there are barriers to an immediate shift to low emission or no emissions business models.
51 million Tonnes CO2e reduced
46 million Lives improved globally
Carbon Footprint Calculator
Calculate and offset your emissions right away.Offset emissions now
Climate Neutral Organisations
How your organisation can go Climate Neutral and the benefits of doing so.Read more
Climate Neutral Products & Services
We can help you deliver Climate Neutral products and services.Learn more
Calculator Project Portfolios
The project portfolios you can support through our carbon calculator.Find out more